‘ LET THE LIGHTS SHINE 1918-2014
Sydney Llewellyn Jones was the son of Walter Stanley Jones and Adelina Susan Dublin Jones(DeShields). He was one of five children two sisters and two brothers. His father was a well known tailor and operated his business on Church Street across from City Hall in Hamilton. Aside from selling clothing Sydney’s father made high-end men’s trousers for Trimingham Brothers and H.A& E Smith Department Stores. Sydney lost his father at age 11 years and his mother moved the family business to Glebe Road in Pembroke where it became the Jones Dry Goods Store and was eventually operated years later by his sister Vivian Jones the business continued until the early 2000’s before being sold out to another owner. It became one of the oldest family owned businesses in Bermuda.
Sydney attended Hinson’s Northlands Primary School, and Berkeley Institute. He later took correspondence courses and attended classes that were sponsored locally by the American International College. He was a gifted pianist and he began his piano lessons at the Stovell and Hinson Schools, he was largely self taught to play the organ. He was often called on to play Friday devotionals for school assembly. He played cricket and football for his school team.
At age 15 he played an organ selection at St. Monica’s Mission in a Sunday evening program, which featured a solo by his older sister Vivian and a duet by Celeste and Millard Williams. Sydney left school at age 14 to work as an electrical apprentice under his older brother Albert who had his own electrical contracting business. Sydney soon left his employ to start his own electrical contracting business in Hamilton, as well as wiring homes in Tucker’s Town, Court Street (North Hamilton) and Front Street. He did extensive work for the Corporation of St. George’s and was instrumental in purchasing street lights for the entire St. George’s Town. He did work for several major hotels and the Kindley Air Force Base which later became the Naval Air Station.
He was among the contracting elite in Bermuda with persons such as Frank Byron, Horace Smith, Henry Talbot, Eugene Raynor, Albert Jones, Arthur DeShields, George Trott, William F. Wilson 3rd. and others. They built this Bermuda our schools, our homes, our shops, our churches and hotels. He was active in his church career at St. Paul A.M.E. which began when he married Celeste Williams of that union are 3 children. He was devoted to the church and he and several other members donated their labour free of charge for major church renovations. He was the director of the young peoples choir during the 1950’s He joined the Senior Choir and remained as a member for over 45 years. He served as a Church Trustee for 40 years.
He joined the Abercorn Lodge in 1963 and was the organist. He became Master of the Lodge in 1973 and worshipful Brother. He was a member of the Blue Waters Anglers Club from Boston. He was a member of the Treatment of offender’s Board for many years and received several awards. His proudest moment was to receive an award from the Ministry of Community Services for his long service as a Bermudian tradesman and his dedicated services to the Community. Sydney was a quiet but ambitious man who was respected by all who knew him.
Sub, B H Assoc, Joy Wilson-Tucker